smartChords ‘Set list link’ is a sophisticated functionality that connects different devices and keeps the set list synchronous on all devices. You can use it with your bandmates during rehearsals and live performances. The ‘Leader’ of you will control the set list and all others (the ‘Followers’) will get the same song at the same time. A song on a ‘Follower’ device is opened at the same moment when the ‘Leader’ opens the song. And it is also started on all devices at the same moment when the ‘Leader’ starts his song.
- Every device needs at least Android Lollipop (5.0) and smartChord V8.8.1
- Every device must support ‘Wifi Direct’. Most devices with Android Lollipop do support ‘Wifi Direct’, but there are exceptions
- Each device must have Wifi enabled
- Every device must be in the Wifi range
- There is NO need for a dedicated Wifi router. The devices handle the connection among themselves
How to connect the devices
There is a toggle button in the set lists toolbar to use the ‘Set list link’ as ‘Leader’ as well as ‘Follower’.
Activate the ‘Set list link’ as ‘Leader’
- Open the settings and
- enter a secret code. It prevents strangers from registering as ‘Followers’
- adjust the maximum size to the largest file (PDF or image) in your set list. If this setting is too small, your connection is disconnected. If it is too big, it can lead to memory shortages on your device. If you just have songs from the songbook in your set list, usually 10 KB is enough. If your songs do have large text, choose more.
- smartChord activates your device as ‘Leader’
- Wait for the invocation of your ‘Followers’ and accept them. The follower list shows the state of each connection
- If everybody is connected, start the set list as usual
Connect as ‘Follower’
- Open the settings and
- enter the secret code from the ‘Leader’
- adjust the maximum size to the largest file (PDF or image) sent by the ‘Leader’. If this setting is too small, your connection is disconnected. If it is too big, it can lead to memory shortages on your device. If your ‘Leader’ just has songs from the songbook in hist set list, usually 10 KB is enough. If his songs do have large text, choose more
- Define if you prefer your own versions of the songs or the version of the ‘Leader’. If you prefer your own versions, smartChord searches for a song with the name of the ‘Leaders’ song. If there isn’t one with a depreciable name, the song of the ‘Leader’ is displayed
- If you want to use the songs of the ‘Leader’, set a scale factor if the display size of your ‘Leader’ differs from yours. A scale factor greater than 1 makes the text larger. A scale factor smaller than 1 makes the text smaller
- Wait until the ‘Leader’ device is detected and the ‘Set list link’ state is ‘Ready’
- Check if the correct ‘Leader’ is detected
- If the link state is ‘Ready’ and you have the right ‘Leader’, activate the set list as ‘Follower’
- An invocation is sent to your ‘Leader’. If he accepts your request, a connection is established between your devices.
- If the state switches to ‘Connected’, your device acts as ‘Follower’ and listens to the ‘orders’ of your ‘Leader’
Control the ‘Set list’
When the ‘Leader’ starts the set list, the first song opens. The song is sent to each ‘Follower’. The ‘Follower’ devices show the song in the same second. When the ‘Leader’ starts the song (scrolling), the ‘Follower’ devices are informed and they start the song on their part nearly without a delay.
- If the leader uses images and PDF files, they are sent to the follower device. This can lead to delay on the follower devices
- Your display remains active when the ‘Set list link’ is active. This makes sure that your song is always visible during your gig. This will increase the battery consumption of your device.
If you can’t get a connection, please do the following in the order of the list and try again after each step:
- Check if the devices Wifi is active
- Check if ‘Leader’ and ‘Follower’ are using the same code
- Wait at least one minute, as this is the time ‘Wifi direct’ needs to communicate states
- Deactivate and activate the ‘Set list link’
- Reopen the ‘Set list’ or ‘Set list follower’ screen
- Restart smartChord
- As a last fallback restart your device